Turkey Stuffed Peppers
From the kitchen of heypreslie.com
- 1 lb 99% lean ground turkey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup onion, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 large red bell peppers
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- Nonstick spray
- 6 tbsp shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Lightly coat medium skillet with nonstick spray and turn to medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic and cilantro to pan and sauté about 2 minutes
- Add ground turkey, salt, garlic powder and cumin to pan. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until meat is cooked through.
- Add 1/4 cup of tomato sauce and 1/2 cup of chicken broth to pan, mix well and simmer on low for about 5 minutes.
- Combine cooked rice and meat together.
- Cut the bell peppers in half lengthwise, and remove all seeds. Spoon 2/3 cup meat mixture into each pepper half and place in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Top each with 1 tbsp cheese.
- Pour the remainder of the chicken broth on the bottom of the pan. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for about 45 minutes.
- Be careful when removing the foil. Let cool for a few minutes before eating, and enjoy!
1 serving = half a pepper, makes 6 servings. Per serving: 30.4g carb, 24.2g protein, 4.5g fat | 259 calories