Recipe: Healthy Turkey Chili
From the kitchen of heypreslie.com
Ingredients (for 8 servings):
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp. olive oi
- 2 cups water
- 1 (28oz) can canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 (16oz) can canned kidney beans - drained, rinsed, mashed
- 1 tbsp. garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Place turkey in the pot and cook until evenly brown. Stir in onion and cook until tender.
- Pour water into the pot, then mix in tomatoes, kidney beans and garlic. Add remaining seasonings and bring pot to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
18g carb, 16g protein, 6g fat, 190 calories per 1 serving
Pair with a vegetable for a balanced meal, or toss carrots, corn, kale, bell peppers or squash in while chili is simmering. You could also use bison, lean ground beef or ground chicken instead of turkey.