Recipe: Easy Chicken Fajitas
From the kitchen of heypreslie.com
1 large onion
1 medium red bell pepper
2lb boneless skinless chicken breast
1 tablespoons olive oil
Fresh cilantro, chopped
For the spice:
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 400°F. Spray 13x9-inch glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Cut onion and bell pepper into even slices; place in baking dish.
- Cut chicken breasts into thin strips; add to vegetables in dish.
- Make the seasoning in a bowl by combining spice ingredients.
- Sprinkle dish with seasoning; drizzle with oil. Stir until combined and pieces are coated.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes, stirring once halfway through baking, until chicken is no longer pink in center.
- Spoon small amount of chicken and veggies onto each tortilla. Top with squeezed lime and cilantro.
*Makes 16 servings, or feeds 8 people if each person has 2 tortillas. Store in the fridge; reheats great for lunch the next day.
Nutrition: For 1 fajita (about 2oz chicken per): 14.5g protein, 6.5g of fat, 12.3g of carbs. This recipe is high in Vitamin C, Potassium and Calcium.
- Skip the tortillas and place recipe over lettuce or black beans for a high-fiber, low-carb alternative.
- Add additional ingredients for added nutrition value and flavors, such as: corn, salsa, cabbage, and a small amount of avocado or sour cream.
- To save time:
- Buy the pre-cut “fajita mix” at your grocery store. It costs a little more than the whole vegetable, but comes with chopped bell pepper and onion ready to go.
- Consider buying a fajita mix seasoning package instead of making your own spice
- Purchase chicken breast packaged in fajita-style sliced strips already at Sprouts.